Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Beginning

This is my first blog post...I don't know how this is going to go, but have decided to give it a shot.

I have always viewed a blog as an online diary of sorts, where people share their thoughts & feelings, etc etc. Being a relative private person I always thought it was kind of weird to have a blog, why do I want everyone to know what I am thinking & feeling?

However, about 2 years ago a friend of mine was dealing with breast cancer. Her husband began a blog to help keep people updated on her condition. It became a favorite of mine, I checked their blog each morning when I arrived at work before I even checked my own email. After her death almost a year ago he continued to blog, sharing his grief & his struggles & giving us a window into his healing process. It was very healing for me to read his blog.

Recently I logged onto the blog of another friend of mine. A homeschooling mother of 8 children, she uses the blog to update family & friends on her family's activities, etc. I went back to the very beginning of her blog & read all of the posts (about a year & a half worth). I absolutely LOVED IT! Although we do not live a long ways away from each other, busy lives intervene & we do not see them nearly as often as we would like (Tracy, if you are reading this congratulations on your sweet new baby!). As I was working through her posts I came across the one where she posted her Christmas letter...the same one I received in the mail. That is when this idea was born.

One of my biggest guilts over the years has been my inability (unwillingness, laziness???) to get a Christmas letter out. Christmas comes at a very busy time of the year!!! :) That is when I decided that if I posted a blog that I could update more often than once a year perhaps I would be more successful in keeping the people I want to keep updated...well, updated!

So, here I am making my first meager attempt at blogging. I hope that I can manage to somehow keep up. I will spend the next several posts trying to get everyone updated on the progress of each member of our family. Stay tuned.....